Trevor Poirier
23 July 2013
AP English 11
Mrs. Wilhelmus
The
Garden of Eden
Every
once in a while, questions about our existence spring up in our minds, and they
can be a bit puzzling. Regardless of our
level of intelligence, we can only know so much about the world we live in,
leaving some questions left without a definite answer. This is where beliefs come in. Whether it be a religion or philosophy, some
form of belief shapes the way we view the world. This includes not only how us humans got here, but also
what our importance is.
"Who
am I?" and "Where does the world come from?" are usually the
first two questions that come to mind when pondering our existence. We all wonder who we truly are to this world
and what our purpose is, assuming we have one.
Secondly, everyone wonders exactly how and when we got here. Just thinking about the answers to these
questions is extremely perplexing, and is a quick way to make your head
hurt. The one thing I personally
struggle with is the concept that answering the questions is not knowledge-based. You can read all sorts of books and attend
all sorts of sermons and churches, but will never have a concrete answer. So many things in this world require
intelligence and can be solved by research or figuring. Obviously we would have long known this
information if that was the case. Every
event in life has a beginning and end.
For example, we are born as infants and at some point die. But what if the world had no beginning, and
even if it did, how could something so complex come from nothing?
I
was raised a Christian, and I believe that this world could not have been made
from nothing or by chance. I believe that there is a greater power, God, that is responsible for creation. I also think
that we each have a purpose in this world beyond our occupation and identities. Although I do not know this for sure, it
seems the most logical based on my knowledge of the past and what I've learned
throughout my life time. Does this mean
I never have inquiries or doubts? No. I think it is good to doubt your beliefs
every now and again to change or reaffirm them.
However, my beliefs are what they are -- beliefs, and that may never
change. I do not know for sure if they
are correct and may never know. The
answer to the questions "Who am I?" and "Where does the world
come from?" are simple. There is no
answer. That is up for us to decide or
not decide.
No comments:
Post a Comment