Trevor Poirier
26 July 2013
AP English 11
Mrs. Wilhelmus
Aristotle
and Women
For
a long time, women were treated as inferiors and were shorted of respect and
the status of equals to men. Some
philosophers ideas conflicted each other on this subject, but one whose beliefs were anti-women
was Aristotle. For some reason he was
not fond of women by any means and failed to see their importance. He actually went as far as to say that they
were unfinished and incomplete men.
Today,
the perspective on women has changed.
You see employed females, more respect for their gender as a whole, and
they have the same rights as men in our society in the United States. Although a few may contest, I believe that
this is the way it should have been from the beginning, and the way it should continue. I believe it does not matter what race or
gender a person is. We are all humans
capable of the same things so it should not matter. If the tables were turned from the beginning
and women were always the prominent gender, how upset and harshly treated would
men feel? Sure, our bodies are not
constructed the same way, and we may not be identical in features, but our brains
function the same way. With all that in
mind, it seems ridiculous to consider women inferior to men.
If
there is one philosopher I would choose to side with on their views
regarding gender, I would choose Plato.
Oddly enough, he was a huge influence on Aristotle himself. He believed that women were just as capable
to function as men, and share the same reasoning. His beliefs strongly sided with mine, as he tended to lean towards equality rather than one prominent race or gender as I do.
Something
I found unfair but certainly predictable was that many of the famous leaders and
authorities in the novel were indeed men.
It seems that in early times, everything had to be about men. Men seemed to have gained respect and
popularity much quicker. The views at
that point in time often left women in the dust. Many of whom had talents and similar
knowledge as men. They could have been
valuable contributors to society as many women are today, which makes me wonder
how many women would be well-known if they were presented similar rights to
today. I guess we will never know, but we can certainly learn from this and continue to treat women with dignity and respect.
No comments:
Post a Comment